Stained glass window depicting trees and flowers at the western entrance to the Royal
Arcade in Norwich. The Arcade was designed by architect George Skipper and opened
in 1899. The Art Nouveau style of decoration continues throughout the 247 foot long
avenue inside the Arcade.
A willow tree as well as a mill and bridge, are depicted on the village sign at Marlesford
in Suffolk. A wavy line below the bridge represents the River Ore. The sign was
designed by local artist Donald Dunne and was made by Hector Moore of Brandeston
Forge. It was erected in 1977 to commemorate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.
Trees are depicted on this wrought iron sign at Framingham Earl in Norfolk. An extensive
wood was planted here at the turn of the nineteenth century by Edward Rigby who became
an eminent surgeon and, in 1805, Mayor of Norwich. On his tombstone in the local
churchyard it reads
‘A monument to Rigby do you seek
On every side the whisp’ring woodlands speak’.
The sign was designed and painted by Sheila Michalski. It was unveiled by the Bishop
of Thetford in 1976.
An artist, by name of Mr. Crome, is depicted here on this village sign at Poringland
in Norfolk. He’s painting the oak tree that stands in front of him. It represents
‘Old Crome’s Oak’ that grows in Carr’s Lane just outside the village. A Mr. Crome
once painted an oak in this area, which may or may not have been the one in Carr’s
Lane, and the finished work of art is now in the National Gallery in London, and
has become quite famous.
This village sign at Walsham-le-Willows in Suffolk depicts a willow tree as well
as a horse and cart.
Now you see it... ... Now you don’t!
The village sign at Roydon in Norfolk once depicted a very fine tree, known as ‘the
flat topped cedar’, that was a prominent feature in the local landscape. You couldn’t
drive through the centre of Roydon without noticing it. The cedar was planted to
commemorate the restoration of Roydon Church, the date believed to be 1870. Unfortunately,
in 1996 it was found to be suffering from serious decay and for safety reasons was
felled. Because it was no longer a feature in the village, its motif was removed
from the village sign, which looks the poorer for it.
The name ‘Eyke’ in Scandinavian means ‘place at oak tree’. So this sign in Suffolk
depicts an oak tree as well as evergreens that represent the local woods. The key
represents the key to the local church. The key is unusual in that it has shaped
into it on the part that fits the lock the name of the village. The letters IKE
can be seen, which is how Eyke used to be spelt. The fifteenth century original
is in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The sign was made by Bill Jennings
and was erected in commemoration of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Year.
Here at Worlingham in Suffolk on a sign erected in 1977 is a huge oak tree trunk
with a hollow big enough to contain a person. It’s the local cobbler at work. Local
tradition has it that not only did the cobbler work inside the hollow, but that the
local blacksmith once stood inside with his horse.
A tree is the dominant feature on this village sign at Stratton Strawless in Norfolk.
Above: Stone carving of an oak twig with acorns on the font at Thornham Magna Church
in Suffolk. The acorn has long been a symbol for life, fertility and immortality.
In recent times, in Europe, it has stood for heroism. To Christians the oak is
a symbol of Jesus’s steadfastness.
These three coconut trees and a hog are carved on a wall of the village hall at Roydon
in Norfolk. Known as the ‘Hog carving’, it has been here since 1997. But it was
actually carved in 1948 and was installed on the gable wall of a brush factory in
Roydon - the Aldrich Brothers Factory - which was demolished in 1991. The hog is
depicted because the brushes were made from hogs hair, and the trees are in the design
because the matting made at the factory was made from the outer husks of coconuts.
The carving, which consists of thirteen sandstone blocks, was carried out ‘in situ’
by David Kindersley
Aldrich Brothers were known throughout the world for their high quality brushes and
coir matting. You might find their products anywhere from P & O liners to 10 Downing
PREVIOUS PAGE ON THE ROSE
Right: Sign on a village school wall in Norfolk showing an apple tree. The
Gaymer Cider Company, today the second largest cider maker in the world whose main
plant is now in Somerset, started as a family business in Banham in 1680 and continued
making cider in Norfolk until 1961.
This weather vane depicts an oak tree and an acorn. It’s on top of a building at
Beth Chattos Gardens near Elmstead Market in Essex.
This brewery name plaque with its tree motif is on the front wall of the Cross Keys
pub in Wymondham, Norfolk.