A bold but simplified colourful pattern of plants is depicted on glazed tiles on
a wall at one of the entrances to the Royal Arcade in Norwich. Dating from 1899,
the tiles were designed by W.J. Neatby and made by Doulton and Company.
Above: Flowers depicted in stained glass at Easton Church in Suffolk.
The picture above shows a gravestone at Fressingfield churchyard in Suffolk with
lily and passionflower carvings. Both flowers have been used as Christian symbols
for centuries. The Spanish have apparently believed that it was the passionflower
that grew around the cross on which Jesus was crucified.
Dating from 1421, the roof of the church at Bardwell in Suffolk was the gift of Sir
William Bardwell shortly after the battle of Agincourt.
Above: Painted roof timbers at Cawston Church in Norfolk.
Leaf and flower motifs on an external wall of the Cornhall at Hadleigh in Suffolk.
The brightly coloured roof of St. Mary’s Church at Bacton in Suffolk has stylized
paintings of palmettes on the rafters. The roof was restored by Butterfield in the
Above: Iron hinges worked into an elaborate leafy design on the church door at West
Somerton in Norfolk.
Right: Beautifully worked carved wooden corner post on the Guildhall at Eye in Suffolk,
depicting a vase of flowers.
A flower design on a house-name plaque on a wall at a house in Flixton, Suffolk.
Simple flowers depicted in stained glass at Occold Church in Suffolk.
Above: Flowers and leaves depicted in a stained glass window at Gooderstone Church
Left: Floral detail in iron on a church gate at Cawston in Norfolk.
Left: Flowers depicted in a stained glass window at Worlingworth Church in Suffolk.
The parclose screen at St. Peter’s Church in Yaxham, Suffolk, (below) has little
flowers in the spandrels of the upright supports. It was given in commemoration
of the Rev. John Trevelyan’s son, who was also a priest. Not only did his son return
safely from the First World War, but he also went on to live to a great age.
Left: A sign for the Royal Arcade in Norwich with Art Nouveau leaf motifs worked
Below: A churchyard entrance gate with simple stylized flower-like motifs at Wilby
Church in Suffolk.
Above: A similar idea for embellishing text with flowers, but with a quite different
treatment to the one illustrated left. Here the text dates from Victorian times
and can be seen on one of the nave walls at Tibenham Church in Norfolk. The text
is embellished with repeat-patterned floral motifs.
Right: Text embellished with flowers on a wall at Chelsworth Church in Suffolk.
The lily, because of its pure whiteness, has been used as a symbol of Mary’s innocence
by Christians, as an emblem of the tribe of Judah by Jews and as a symbol for the
goddess Juno by the Romans.
Below left: Floor tiles with floral design in Tannington Church in Suffolk. Below
right: Victorian floor tiles with an elaborate design around a lily at Reepham Church
A flower motif is carved on the stone reredos at Aslacton Church in Norfolk. The
reredos extends right across the east wall of the chancel and has several foliage
carvings in the spandrels.
Above: Flower motif on floor tile at Gissing Church in Norfolk.
NEXT PAGE ON THE GRAPEVINE
ON ALTAR RAILS
Stained glass with simple flower motifs in Thornham Parva Church in Suffolk. Notice
also the acorns and oak leaves alongside. The oak was a symbol for life, fertility
and mortality. There is a carving of oak twigs and acorns on the font at nearby
Thornham Magna church.
Flowers and leaf motifs in glass at Stuston Church in Suffolk, also dating from the
Victorian period when, like nearby Brome, much of the church was restored. Much
of the glass here was installed in memory of the Clarke family who lived nearby.
Above: Stained glass window at Brome Church in Suffolk with floral and leaf motives.
It dates from the Victorian era when the church was much restored by Sir Edward
Clarence Kerrison, Squire and Patron.
Above: Detail of a stained glass window in the church at Pulham Market in Norfolk.
Above: Flower motifs on a font inside the parish church at Pulham Market in Norfolk.
The font dates from 1873 at a time when the church underwent a major programme of
Below: Name plaque with daffodils depicted at Old Hall Farm in Gissing, Norfolk.